April 13, 2006


This is the second story in the series. They say there is a thin line between love and
madness.This story explores the fact.
I hope u enjoy the story and do post your comments....


Memories of a Lost Night

There must have been times in your life when u felt anger, such unreasonable and uncontrollable anger that you wanted to destroy everything around you. I don’t get these kinds of feelings. It was one of the reasons why they selected me. They said I was an emotionally balanced person; not so long ago I used to believe that. Now, before I forget, let me tell you who I am. My name is NAMSSIN222901, Grade 8. I used to have a birth name like everyone else, but it was a long time ago. Now I am only a Grade 8 officer in the “Surveillance and Intelligence Network (SIN)” working with the department of “Nuclear Arms and Missiles Systems”. This is classified information and I am not supposed to tell u this. But it does not matter now, because tomorrow…. there will be no tomorrow.

I had already graduated from the high school, when I saw an ad by the army calling young men and women to join the army and serve the state. By the time, the physical tests in the army camp were over, I had the all too familiar feeling of being left behind. I completed the aptitude test and returned home. I had almost forgotten about this fiasco when I got a letter from the army. It said that I have been selected for the second round and my interview will be held in the NAMS block. I called them up to check if there was some mistake and the officer at the other end rudely replied that army personnel do not make mistakes and hung up. So when I reached this NAMS block, I was surprised to see only 20 people there. They all seemed nervous, so I guessed they must be here for the same interview. Soon we were joined by an officer, who said something about secret agencies, covert operations and spies. I inferred that he was talking about NAMS. By the time it was evening, we had gone through numerous tests. I was hoping that it would all end and I can go home. The officer who had given the introduction in the morning came back and announced that they had selected 4 people out of the 21. The first name that he called out was mine. That was the last time I heard someone call me by my birth name.

The 6 months training period that followed was rigorous. By the end of the term, I was NAMSSIN222901. The first four numbers denote the year of joining, 2229. The next two digits signify that I was ranked no.1 in my batch. At that time I was surprised by the result, but all along, they knew it would happen. Later I was to know that my ES (Emotional Stability) test score during the interview was a all time high in the history of NAMS. As a result, I was posted in Sector 3 of State Asia, which at the turn of the millennium was called Russia. They said it was a difficult job and they wanted the best for the job. I was pleased with my posting. But that was then, things have changed now. The long night is about to end now……

The shrill sound of the siren echoed through the compound. It indicated the start of the night shift. I could see day shift people going out. They waved each other goodbye. Of course, no one waved at me. I was not supposed to have any kind of social contact, they knew that and so they avoided me. These people were going home to sleep, sleep….. now it seems a strange and alien term. During the first week of training, we were given an injection. They told us that it was to help us remain alert at all times. That night I could not sleep, nor could any of my classmates. Later, we realized it was a sleep deprivation drug. Now, we are addicted to it. I already take 2 injections a week and I don’t sleep.

I have dreams though. Not the usual kind of sleeping dreams. I dream with my eyes open. I dream of a day, when I can go back home. But I am not supposed to dream. We were taught that dreams are a sign of emotional instability and we were taught to ignore dreams. They said we are to ignore our emotions; reason should be our only emotion. But I don’t follow reason now. I don’t care now…

As the night progressed, a feeling of uneasiness caught hold of me. They had said that it was 3 times more likely for the enemy to attack at night than at day, so I had long since associated night with danger. I was now staring at the RADAR intensely. Through the corner of my eyes, I could see the Green Button, which I was to use to inform the other stations, in case of an attack. Besides that was the Red Button. In ancient times, red was associated with danger. The tradition had continued to this day. Using the Red Button, I could launch a nuclear missile to anywhere in the world, anywhere….. and this was the Button, which made my job so important, so important that I had to stay here. I could never go home again……

There was another dream about which I did not tell you. It is not exactly a dream; it is more of a wish. Sometimes in the death of night, sitting in front of my computer watching the radar, I have this strong urge to press the Red Button. I know the consequences. Europe, aghast at our action, will join America. Together they will declare war on Asia, ignoring the desperate appeals of Asia that it was the work of one mad man. The State Africa will join us, there was some medieval agreement, which binds Africa to us. There will be major war, something like the World Wars of the medieval times, which was taught to us in schools. Only this times there will be no one left to read about this. The war will lead to the complete destruction of the 4 States. These are not my predictions. Our scientists, using some obscure maths, have come to a conclusion, along the same lines.

So you see, I have the power to destroy the world but I don’t have the power to just go home like the others. Soon it will be time for the night shift people to go home and I will be still here. There is no end to this madness. It goes on and on. People always go home and they are happy about it. And I just sit here, watching them leave. And then they reach home, and I am still here. They eat dinner cooked by the loving hands of their wife, and I am still hungry . They tuck their kids into bed and kiss them goodnight, and I am still lonely. They fall asleep in the arms of their wife, and I am still awake….. and I am still here.

My whole mind was screaming that it was not the right thing to do, but it does not matter, as long as they are asleep and I am awake.
I saw myself pressing the Red Button, sealing the fate of the world. With the sound of the morning siren, the cyanide tablet was starting to take effect and I was falling asleep and I was home….. at last I was home.
The End........
Note By The Author :
i would like to know if you find the stories too lenghty to be written in 1 post. Please include your suggestions regarding whether i should divide the stories into 2 parts on retain the existing format. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

32 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

too touching man..........
just too touching!

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger nishita said...

gr8..read all of them..

but y do all ur stories hav a sad touch...

and i think blogging is not 4 the ppl who r lone its for the ppl who wish to vent out their felingss which cannot otherwise be shared...

 
At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow........
very well written
i must say u r gud at it.

sheetal

p.s. u sud write d whole of it in one go, dnt divide them into parts.

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

its really good. and dont divide them. its fun this way. u shd write more. and i have a good novel for u. take it from me. u will like it.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Venkatesh Nandakumar said...

good one.
intelligently written. esp. The world war of the medieval times!

and no, it is not long at all!

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger ARK said...

well written but couldn't understand how it explores the thin line bewteen love and madness.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger abhimir said...

@Arjun
well, the love here refers to the love for his family and home. this love can be viewed in a positive sense but this love drove him to madness.
so basically wat i meant was sometimes, love can be so intense dat it can lead to madness, or rather irrationalism... even in the most rational mind...

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool ekdum mast
so my dear asimov what should we expect next

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger abhimir said...

@Himanshu
it was a one off science fiction thing... not hav anything else related to science fiction listed...
but will work on this....

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Jite said...

hi dude...jst went thru ur story..this ones better than d previous one.. though u cud put in a bit of more trauma by includin his emotional side...if u are really into loneliness :( stuff.
no doubt its a bit long ..i got to shift throu many sites b4 completin it :)...
overall a gud one keep writin..na yes go through H G Wells novels..war of the worlds types..they hav sm stuff like urs...world wars etc minus the loneliness..
waise i wud suggest go for sm bubbly ...n happpyy :) kinda topics...
keep writin...

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey buddy
you write damn well.

n yea don't divide into 2 parts. this is good.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Shakti said...

gr8 work..way to go!!

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Deepak said...

better than your last post...keep improving..but one thing about the story...it wasn't even remotely close to reality at certain places...anyways..it was the inner meaning that mattered and u brought it out quite well...

One more thing, the way u ended it was
very good.

Deepak

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger abhimir said...

@Deepak
the story is set in 2229 A.D , which gave me a bit of licence to flirt with facts... i.e. introduce some unrealistic concepts, with regards to the current age...
basically using some fiction writers' licence.... if i may call it...

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Amrita Sabat said...

wow! beautifully written. style of writing as well as contents. lovely.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger ARK said...

hah... my present xperience says love itself can be irrational. when i let my mind to wander and indulge in fantasies, i discovered the magic of love. of course, the love here is btw lovers. yeah, i ask, myself so is this love or is this madness? i concluded there is madness in love and love in madness...

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Shishir said...

first of all thanks for ur comments on my blog and hope ur having fun at iit roorke...nice campus..came last year...but to ur writing intersting..and in a sense very original style..and kind of touching..yet not too melodramtic...do keep up the good work..i'll try following ur blog

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude too gud,hop mor 2 cum in future.

 
At 3:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey!!r u planning to take story-writing as profession or wat??well!!gud going.keep it up.ur creativity is showing up.well,ideas aate kahan se hain.abt the story

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger SG said...

Good..
Who is this story about?
You met some person or just an imagination?

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger abhimir said...

@Alpha
regarding the story... it is jus imagination... lets hope no one gets desperate enough to do what has been described...

 
At 3:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very well written...
never knew u can write so well.fundoo use of ur so called fiction writer`s lisence!!
when shall u dish ur next story.
eagerly waiting.....

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger abhimir said...

@Sugandh
the next story is due in a week's time... and its great dat u like the use of the 'fiction writers licence', when u write fiction.. especially scince fiction it becomes imperative to make up some facts to suit the needs of the story... so v use this method...

@Alpha
can u give me the link of ur blog url... mail me or jus give it hre..
it seems your profile is off limits...

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Chittz said...

interesting... though it was placed in 2229 (or further than that), it still had srtong bonds to the emotional trauma soldiers on the field face today.

But I did have the feeling that I've read it all before. But oh well... as the old saying goes, there is no new story. Only new packaging :D. btw what makes u think USA and the Russia are going to be superpowers at that time? :D

Btw dont break it up. I think that will disrupt the flow of the whole thing.

on the whole, a job well done!

Chittz

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Himanshu said...

Well done dude! Nice elucidation, no deviation. U hav a knack for fiction, keep it up! Good to see IITans proving their detractors wrong by being more than just nerds as ppl think them to be! Kudos to you!

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya

Good one...... I'd suggest breaking it into parts to make for easier reading :)

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger abhimir said...

@Amie
thanks for comments... and i do hope you keep coming back to the blog...
Actually in 2229, world is basically divided into 4 States: US,Asia, Africa and Europe... there r no independent countries now,russia is only the place where the main character is posted... it is no longer a country..
i will continue the series... the next story will be uploaded on Friday...

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger abhimir said...

@Incognito6174
thanks for the comments... and do keep checking the blog...
IITian do have a multitude of talents, apart from the obvious ones. it is just that people don't recognize that... so it feels good to be recognized for your creativity...

@Dee
Thanks for the comments and your suggestion...
i will take it into account in future..

@Manju
Thanks for your comments... and do keep checking the blog...
About the definition of Blog, frankly i don't know wat a blog is meant to be... i just try to use the blog to tell my stories to the world.... after all we are all free people here...

 
At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

arey its damn interesting..as it is so dont even think of breaking it up...
but like all other people i too hav this feeling that you write stories on the plots which are sad...dunno know why??
nywz whatever the plot may be a this story is superb man.damn good creativity.

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good, man. Really liked it. Especially after all the teenage angst bullshit that you keep coming across.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Raven said...

Loved it Man .. You really rock

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger anuj said...

did't knew tht u write so good
keep it up dear

 

Post a Comment

<< Home